And if you already have some carving experience, customize this class to suit your needs. Want to spend the week carving ball and claw feet? No problem. Prefer carving flame finials, you can do that too.
Carving For Furniture Makers
In this week-long class, you’ll go from zero to full-tilt carving. You’ll develop the foundational skills necessary to embellish your woodworking project with that touch of carving class. You’ll carve fans, shells, and even a simple cabriole leg. Learn how to maintain your carving tools in order to carve crisply, cleanly, and safely.
Some of the skills learned in the Carving for Furniture class are:
- How to choose, sharpen and use basic carving tools
- Simple exercises you can do at home to improve your carving skills
- How to carve fans and shells
- Carving three-dimensional objects like cabriole legs and finials
Materials are included in the class fee.
Each student should supply his, or her, own:
- Safety glasses and hearing protection
- Combination or machinist square
- Bevel gauge
- Bench chisels
- Carvers mallet
- Dovetail saw
- Marking gauge
- Smooth plane or jack plane
- Block plane
- Tape measure or folding rule.
Students should also supply their own bench chisels as well as a #15 v-parting tool (6mm or smaller) and two #8 gouges (one 7mm and one 10mm). If you have more carving tools, bring them along as they will most likely be useful.
If you do not have the tools on the list, don’t panic, there are plenty of tools for your use in class.
- August 28 – September 01, 2023
The shop opens at 8:30 am. Class begins at 9:00 am. A delicious lunch, snacks, and soft drinks are provided. Class ends at 4:30 pm – the shop remains open until 5:30 pm.
The class is limited to a maximum of 4 students.
Call or email to be placed on the waiting list if this class sells out.