Carve Newport Shells
The Goddards and Townsends of Newport, Rhode Island were some of the greatest craftsmen of the 18th century. Their furniture is considered by many to be the pinnacle of American period furniture. Each piece of their furniture can be considered a master class in itself. And their shell carvings are mini-master classes.
Some of the skills learned in the Carve Newport Shells class are:
- Convex and concave shell layout
- How to read grain direction in 3D
- Refining your carving skills
Materials for carving samples are included in the class fee.
Each student should supply his, or her, own:
- Safety glasses and hearing protection;
- Combination or machinist square;
- Bevel gauge; bench chisels;
- Carvers mallet; dovetail saw;
- Marking gauge;
- Smooth plane or jack plane;
- Block plane;
- Tape measure or folding rule.
- For this class, you may also want to bring along any carving tools you may own.
If you do not have the tools on the list, don’t panic, there are plenty of tools for your use in class.
- September 16 – 20, 2024
The shop opens at 8:30 am. Class begins at 9:00 am. A delicious lunch, snacks, and soft drinks are provided. Class ends at 4:30 pm – the shop remains open until 5:30 pm.
The class is limited to a maximum of 6 students.
Call or email to be placed on the waiting list if this class sells out.